[mythtv-users] Pay for listings [was Zap2it Labs Shutting Down?]

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Jun 20 16:38:33 UTC 2007

On Jun 20, 2007, at 9:13 AM, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 10:52:07AM -0500, Mickey Chandler wrote:
>> Michael Jones wrote:
>>> .. and what's to say that a company providing this data for a fee
>>> could not collect this data from multiple sources, and make sure
>>> they
>>> actually provide complete and accurate data to their customers -
>>> unlike what Zap2It provides now ;-)
>> That'd be possible, but my understanding from further up the
>> thread is
>> that all of those multiple sources ultimately get their data from TMS
>> anyway.
>
> Um... who does *TMS* get it from?
>
> Multiple sources?
>
> Cheers,
> -- jra

TV networks deliver the information directly to TMS who then assemble
the listings in a standard format. Staff writers then edit or create
descriptions of multiple lengths (depending on where it's being
delivered) then the information is distributed to many different
outlets. At least this is how it was done 4 years ago when I met with
them. I was working for a company (now out of business) that was big
into metadata management so we got a close look at how they operate
the TV listings in trying to sell them our software for importing
data from multiple sources into a standard schema, editing the
metadata and redistributing in multiple formats.