[mythtv-users] Pay for listings [was Zap2it Labs Shutting Down?]

Cole Brodine cbrodine at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 15:34:31 UTC 2007

On 6/20/07, matt lutz <myth.matt.lutz at gmail.com> wrote:

> I can't see paying $5 a month for just the listings.  Most providers will
> rent you a DVR for that price.  I know that mythtv is much better than the
> commercial available DVRs, but you also have to pay for the hardware on the
> myth system.  It just wouldn't make financial sense to most potential or
> current Myth users (I would think... perhaps I am wrong).
>
> I don't mind paying... maybe $20 a year or something?
>

> On 6/20/07, Cole Brodine <cbrodine at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > As I've stated before, I would gladly pay a reasonable monthly price for
> > listings.
> >
> > To add to that, if somebody wanted to setup a reasonable business
> > proposal for a paid listings service (based on TMS listings or something
> > else) I would gladly invest a little start up money after some review.
> >
> > Cole Brodine
> > --
> > 1422 13th Ave
> > Kearney NE 68845-6568
> > (308) 224-1103 (Cellular)
> > Visit My Website at http://www.brodine.com/
> > Blog: http://rabbitinhiding.blogspot.com/
> > ICQ: 5857320
> > Skype: cbrodine
> > yahoo: brodinec
> > MSN: brodinec at yahoo.com
> > > fee to zap2it or anyone else who supplied this data.
> > >
> > > Has anyone approached zap2it to suggest that many of us would pay?

> > > projects
> > > the

> > > the

I made this same comment in the other thread, but I'll repeat it here for
the sake of repeating.  I think the proper way to go about this would be to
setup a business model, estimate your expenses, and then figure out what
kind of fee you would need from there.  If $20 a year is enough to provide a
decent profit, great!  If $100 a month is what is required then you probably
wouldn't go forward with the project.

I think it would be important to develop some sort of XML type data
listings.  Don't limit the data to just MythTV.  There could be a lot of
other software that would have users willing to pay for listings.
MSN: brodinec at yahoo.com