[mythtv-users] tv: MythTV -> RSS -> PSP automation

greg at nodecam.com greg at nodecam.com
Wed Jun 20 15:24:26 UTC 2007

> 1.  Where did you put tds.php?  Anywhere on your web server right?
> Doesn't
> have to be related to MythWeb or anything.

Correct - all that tds.php does is scans the directory it's currently in,
and output an rss feed for the files that match the program title.  You
also have to snag the SVN copy of feedcreator.class.php and put it in that
directory.

> 2.  Never used the RSS pieces on the PSP.  Just point it at the tds.php
> and
> things should be self explanatory from there?

When you browse to it with the web browser, it asks you if you want to
subscribe (or add it to RSS channels or something like that.)

> 3.  How do you configure the PSP to do the automatic wakeup and download
> the
> RSS feeds?

On the RSS Channel, select any feed, hit triangle, then select "set timer"
from the menu that comes up.  Unfortunately it looks like it's one timer
for all feeds that you want to download.  I ran the script for a few days
to see when the shows were typically done, then set the timer for about 10
minutes later.

> A couple of points:
>
> a.  I see the ffmpeg is using h264.  I would really like to use that.

One thing to be aware of - to use h264 in the rss feeds, you have to be on
a pretty current firmware.  It will also allow you to play back 480x272
video, so the upgrade is pretty worthwhile...I don't know how to use
mencoder at all though.

I had -vol 512 as one of my ffmpeg flags at one point, supposedly it would
boost the volume, but I could never tell the difference, so I dropped it.
There's probably a way to get it to do the job, but I seem to have a hard
time finding documentation for ffmpeg's flags.  -vol 256 is normal volume
(supposedly)

> c.  ffmpeg is using -b 150kb and mecoder vbitrate=280.  I am retrying a
> test
> now to see what the file size difference is between the two when I change
> ffmpeg to -b 280kb.  I am assuming those will be equivalent at that point.

I play around with the file bitrates quite a bit - for HD stuff, I use the
following ffmpeg command:

ffmpeg -i "${infile}" -acodec aac -ab 96 -vcodec h264 -b 500kb -ar 48000
-mbd 2 -coder 1 -cmp 2 -subcmp 2 -s 480x272 -r 30000/1001 -f psp -flags
loop -trellis 2 -partitions parti4x4+parti8x8+partp4x4+partp8x8+partb8x8
-vlevel 13 -vol 512 "{outfile}.MP4"

Good luck!

Greg