[mythtv-users] Zap2it Labs Shutting Down?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Jun 20 14:36:17 UTC 2007

Michael Jones wrote:
> The greedy nature of the human condition aside.. ;-)
>
> I think it would be, with a little intelligent/creative programming/
> license management, relatively easy prevent the data from being
> misused or abused.  We know the "honor" system won't work since the
> "greedy human nature" is a given..
>
> I doubt that this decision is purely technical on their part..
> Unfortunately my suspicion is that there's some pressure being put on
> Zap2It by some entity/customer that doesn't want this data to be
> available on a "free" basis.  .. but that's only my suspicious nature..

It certainly doesn't take much imagination to think up entities that do
not like MythTV or anything associated with it:

Let's see, the CATV operators trying to rent DVRs, all the TV
advertisers, ad agencies, the DVD distribution folks, the Movie Studios,
 The newspapers who sometimes get subscriptions from people just for a
"better" TV channel guide (and remember that TMS is, after all, really
newspaper people), the retail stores selling DVDs, Netflix, Microsoft,
and I'm sure many others.

That's just for starters.

I suspect that what's really happening is that MythTV is a victim of its
own success.

Always remember: If something seems too good to be true...

BEWW