[mythtv-users] DVD Ripping was: Zap2it Labs Shutting Down?

jason maxwell decepticon at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 13:25:15 UTC 2007

> But the H'Wood types WANTED you to have to purchase another disk when
> your first one was destroyed. They saw it as a "revenue stream". So they
> lobbied for the "Digital Millenium Copyright Act", making it illegal to
> bypass the CSS system in order to make a backup of a "protected" DVD.

For this reason, I believe it's still technically illegal to _watch_ a
"protected" DVD on a Linux machine, because doing so requires decrypting CSS
with a device that hasnt been licensed to do so. They dont just want a
"revenue stream", they want to continue making the highest possible profit,
while continuing to lower the quality, effort, and cost of producing this
"valuable" content.
-J