[mythtv-users] Zap2it Labs Shutting Down?

Tim Phipps mythtv-users at phipps-hutton.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Jun 20 13:17:19 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 20 June 2007 10:54 am, William Munson wrote:
> Does not surprise me in the least. It costs them big $$ to purchase the
> info and we pirate the info for free (Yes I know they let us with the
> labs.)

I never did understand why listings cost money, after all if viewers
can't/don't get listings they won't watch your programme. I don't pay for all
the adverts on web pages. Does the industry really think that people will
just turn on the TV to a random channel and buy whatever appears in the ads?

> I never did understand the logic in ripping DVDs. After all I can rent
> one for $1/day and have yet to see one that I wanted to watch twice. If
> your kid cant get enough of Barney or whatever, buy the darn thing and
> support the industry.

I rip them so my kid doesn't have to be subject to adverts for other DVDs,
copyright warnings, annoying intros etc. We just scroll down MythVideo 'till
she chooses the cover image she recognises. She's a bit less than three and
she can work the pause and play buttons on the remote, it won't be long
before I have to figure out parental control in Myth ;-)

Cheers,
Tim.