[mythtv-users] Zap2it Labs Shutting Down?

William Munson william_munson at bellsouth.net
Wed Jun 20 09:54:17 UTC 2007

Eric Holt wrote:
> I just saw this posted on the KnoppMyth forums, and for sure, I checked
> out the Zap2it Labs website, and there is the announcement:
>
> http://labs.zap2it.com/
>

> -----
> IMPORTANT MESSAGE:
>
> For several years we have offered a free TV listings service to
> hobbyists for their own personal, noncommercial use. In October of 2004
> we posted here an open letter saying the future of Zap2it Labs was at
> risk because of certain growing misuses of the Zap2it Labs data.
> Unfortunately this misuse has continued and grown. These misuses,
> combined with other business factors have led to the decision to
> discontinue Zap2it Labs effective September 1, 2007.
>
> We thank those users who have honored the terms of the agreement, and we
> suggest you consider the many TV listings options offered by the
> commercial licensees of TMS TV listings data.
>
> If you would like to discuss how to license TV listings for commercial
> use, please let us know by e-mail (labs at zap2it.com) and include your
> company name, telephone number and the best time to reach you. We will
> respond to your inquiry as soon as possible.
>
> We anticipate this decision will generate discussion and invite you to
> respond via the Zap2it Labs forum. We will do our best to respond to
> relevant questions posted on this forum in a timely manner.
> -----

Does not surprise me in the least. It costs them big $$ to purchase the
info and we pirate the info for free (Yes I know they let us with the
labs.) Its the same as people ripping DVDs to the hard drive. Another
"harmless" illegal act that in the eyes of the Hollywood guys costs big
bucks. We need to suck it up and pay for the info we use. Either that or
go with one of the commercial software DVRs that include listings and
then you are paying for it by purchasing the software.

I never did understand the logic in ripping DVDs. After all I can rent
one for $1/day and have yet to see one that I wanted to watch twice. If
your kid cant get enough of Barney or whatever, buy the darn thing and
support the industry.