[mythtv-users] Zap2it Labs Shutting Down?

Jack Trout witmore1 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 02:55:07 UTC 2007

> Back to XMLTV web scraping?
>
> -JAC

The original method that MythTV used was pulling from zap2it just reading
thier webpages and parsing them as if it were a client reading each
webpage.. it put a huge strain on the zap2it servers which is why they came
out with zap2itlabs to provide raw xml data vs having thier servers needing
to parse hundreds of html requests.

Occasionally Zap2it would break XMLTV by changing the layout of the
webpages, or reparsing thier data. this could be a possibility in the future
although they might add some of the newer web features that would further
break automated grabbing which is if you request more than X amount of pages
in a short amount of time, it will present you with one of the picture
verification things to authenticate you as a human, vs a bot.. I hope I dont
have to pay to get reliable listings, but its a possibility if it means my
myth station keeps working