[mythtv-users] Powerbook G4 1.5 GHz + Fedora 7 PPC as only backend?

Michael Freeman mlfreeman at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 21:45:10 UTC 2007

I'm about to get a new MacBook Pro.
I'm trying to decide what to do with my Powerbook and how to upgrade my Myth
box at the same time.
I started wondering if I couldn't turn the Powerbook into a small, nearly
silent mythbackend.
I don't do anything like transcode or commflag...I just want to be able to
spool the MPEG2 video from my tuners to a firewire hard drive.

The laptop is a Powerbook G4 1.5 GHz with 1 GB of RAM (I'd put an upgrade to
2 in for this).
I'd use a WinTV PVRUSB2 for analog tv and a HDHomeRun for digital.
I'd be using a 750 GB Seagate ATA133 drive inside a FireWire enclosure for
recordings.
I'd run Fedora 7 PPC on it.

I'd also like to run Samba for generic file storage and Apache + PHP for
Mythweb.

Actual viewing would consist of me using Mythfrontend on the OS X side of
the MBP I'll probably get soon.

My biggest concern is this:
Can I safely copy files from the MBP to a Samba share on such a setup while
mythbackend records a channel over the HDHomeRun?
Or would I run into some sort of issue (e.g. bandwidth / disk throughput /
etc) that would give me headaches?

I dream of a world where two laptops gives me increased portability along
with decreased noise, heat, and headaches (compared to my two desktops
now)...hopefully that can happen.

Thanks,
Michael