[mythtv-users] Schedule oddity

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jun 19 16:06:35 UTC 2007

On 06/19/2007 07:27 AM, Darryl Merritt wrote:
> I went into MythWeb and setup a manual recording with these options:
>
> Channel		10
> Start time	20:35
> Record Length	1 minute
> Start Early	1 minute
> End Late	1 minute
>
> Shouldn't I get a recording of just 3 minutes long ?
>

> running 'mythbackend -v schedule' has this line in the log
>
> Title - Subtitle                Ch Station Day Start  End   S C I  T N   Pri
> 10 (TEN Digital) - "Tue Jun 19   10 TEN Dig 19 20:34-20:37  1 2 2  S 2   1/0
>
> which would indicate a 3 minute recording.. what do the 'S C I T N' columns mean?
>
> MythWeb -> Backend Log shows the recording started at 20:33:02 and ended at 20:47:50
>
> I have RecordPreRoll = 60 and RecordOverTime = 650
>
> The recording is actually nearly 15 minutes long. It seems the RecordOverTime of 650 seconds
> (10.8 minutes) has been added..

Yes.

> Is this the way it is supposed to work?

Yes.

>  I understood the 'Run Late' option would override the
> 'RecordOverTime' value if it was defined,

No.

>  otherwise 'RecordOverTime' would be added where possible.

Yes (but without the "otherwise").

> I have noticed that if 'RunLate' and RecordOverTime are the same value, Mythbackend assumes it is
> the RecordOverTime value and will drop the extra time if it has to, to make the schedule fit. This
> is why my RecordOverTime is not evenly divisible by 60 so it wont clash.

The "Start early" and "End late" settings on the recording rule are
always applied and are used by the scheduler to determine whether or not
it's possible to record the show--i.e. you've said, "You /must/ record
this much before and after the scheduled start/end time, or don't even
record it at all."  The global "Time to record before start of show (in
seconds)" and "Time to record past end of show (in seconds)" are used to
give the system time to start up and shut down a capture card, and will
only be used when you have no back-to-back recordings.

Oh, and if you were to use the frontend settings screens to change the
values, rather than editing them directly in the DB or the MythWeb page
that says, "Warning: Many settings pages have very little error
checking. You can easily screw things up if you're not careful, and
short of restoring the database from a backup, there is *no* way to undo
your changes," (loosely translated, "Don't use this page to change
settings."), you might have noticed some useful help text:

Time to record before start of show (in seconds)
This global setting allows the recorder to start before the scheduled
start time. It does not affect the scheduler. It is ignored when two
shows have been scheduled without enough time in between.

Time to record past end of show (in seconds)
This global setting allows the recorder to record beyond the scheduled
end time. It does not affect the scheduler. It is ignored when two shows
have been scheduled without enough time in between.

(I'm assuming you changed the values in one of those ways since you're
using names for the settings that you shouldn't even see, and that are
not indicative of their true purpose/usage.)

Mike