[mythtv-users] chunks missing from recordings?

Cnudde, Paul Paul.Cnudde at Gowlings.com
Tue Jun 19 13:52:41 UTC 2007

"Joe Borne" Wrote
>I recently upgraded to the atrpms bleeding version in order to eliminate
>some problems I was having with dvd's, transcoding etc. It did fix the dvd
>problems, but not my transcoding issues. (I'll save that for another post)

>The new behavior I am seeing now is that on occassion, a recording will have
>pieces missing from it. They appear to be about 2-3 minutes in length and
>bunched together in a particular spot, usually 30 minutes into the
>recording. The recording will just jump forward 2-3 minutes and there will
>be the sort of mpeg compression blocks you would see in a digital
>transmission that was having signal problems. (I used to see this effect
>when I had digital satellite and was having reception problems.)

>It usually clears up and the rest of the recording is fine. I don't think
>this is the transmission though because I am seeing it in recordings taken
>from my STB with firewire and also in ones recorded analog by my PVR-150.

>Has anyone seen this before and is there a fix?

I have seen this before. If I delete a program while another is recording, then the show that is being recorded will have the chunks missing exactly as you describe. My workaround is to only delete when nothing else is recording. my best non-technical guess would be that drive intensive activity during recording will cause this.  I've always meant to try the "delete files slowly" option to see if that corrects it.
paul
IMPORTANT NOTICE:  This message is intended only for the use of the
individual or entity to which it is addressed. The message may
contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt
from disclosure under applicable law.  If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent
responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient,
you are notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of
this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received
this communication in error, please notify Gowlings immediately by
email at postmaster at gowlings.com.  Thank you.