[mythtv-users] ALSA experts: Please help me configure SPDIF

JDP DATA jdpdata at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 04:28:47 UTC 2007

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, but sadly still no AC3 sound out from
my receiver.

- I've unmuted  IEC958 (IEC958 Playback Switch value to true)
- Set 'IEC958 Playback AC97-SPSA' to 0
- I don't have IEC958 alias in aplay -L.  Is this causing my problems?  How
do I config the alias?  I know optical out is working because I can see the
red laser beam from tos-link port.  And my receiver output sound but only
analog (Dolby PRO LOGIC).
- I've set Audio output and passthrough device to 'ALSA:hw:0,4' and checked
'Enable AC3 to SPDIF passthough'.  No sound in LiveTV and no error when
mythfrontend ran.
- Setting to 'ALSA:spdif' returns  AudioOutput Error: snd_pcm_open(spdif):
No such file or directory
2007-06-18 21:22:54.012 NVP: Disabling Audio, reason is:
snd_pcm_open(spdif): No such file or directory
- Bill, I copied and pasted your .asoundrc config file - seems to change
nothing for me.

Anymore ideas, please help me...I've been at this for weeks, I don't want to
give up.