[mythtv-users] Cards keep changing /dev/videoX devices...

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Jun 19 02:30:37 UTC 2007

Nick Morrott wrote:
> On 17/06/07, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:
>
>> So, what's the secret? How do you repeatably get ONLY the cx88_dvb
>> module loaded, without also taking explicit steps to stop the cx8800
>> module from being loaded.
>> (Being picky, I won't accept answers which involve the cx8800 module
>> being loaded at /dev/video2 (using the option line as in your prior
>> post) and then the cx88_dvb module being loaded at /dev/dvb/adapter0 etc.)
>
> One method that Fedora offers to control module loading is to put a
> file (with extension of .modules) in /etc/sysconfig/modules containing
> command you wanting executed early on in the boot process.
>
> If you create a file called /etc/sysconfig/modules/cx88.modules containing
>
> modprobe -r cx8800
> sleep 3
> modprobe cx88-dvb
>
> You should not have to blacklist the bad module (although this should
> stop it being loaded) or worry about the good module not being loaded.

Yet another way to achieve the same end situation!
These same three lines would work just as well in rc.local (although I
suspect that the sysconfig file will be parsed and run earlier in boot.

But it's a sledgehammer when you can do the same thing with one line in
the blacklist, and load the cx88_dvb module in modprobe.conf.

G.

              R. Geoffrey Newbury

        Helping with the HTTP issue