[mythtv-users] Recording a VHS movie to MythTV?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Jun 19 02:16:40 UTC 2007

Phill Edwards wrote:
>>> The easist way is not through MythTV:
>>>
>>> Run ivtvctl to change video import
>>>
>>> cat /dev/videoX > file.mpg (And Control-C when done)
>>>
>>> Then dump it in your videos directories and watch it with MythVideo
>>>
>> I don't remember everything, but it did involve setting up the additional
>> inputs on the card, and adding a channel for it (1001 for me), etc...  So, I
>> just tell it to record for like 6 Hours, and then stop it when it's done.
>> Then, you can easily edit it and cut out the pieces you don't want.
>
> What if you have a DVB-T card? I presume neither of these methods will
> work with one of those? Do you have to install an analogue card for
> this?

Yes, you need some way to get the analog signal out of the VHS deck into
your computer.

Of course, you can buy a standalone DVD recorder for about the same
price as an analog capture card with on-board encoding. You could get a
simple frame-grabber for less, but I'm not sure it's worth it, as you'd
be taking up a slot.

(At least in the USA this is true, your spelling of "analogue" indicates
to me you are not a yank).

There are also USB devices for analog capture, but they cost as much as
a disc recorder as well.