[mythtv-users] gigabit ethernet - firewire/usb 2.0

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Jun 18 21:15:04 UTC 2007

joe.white at wachovia.com wrote:

> My myth box is on an EPIA 6000.  The LAN connection is 10/100 and the
> PCI slot is in use.  Now that I have dropped a NAS box on the network, I
> would like to increase the Myth box's network pipe to take advantage of
> the gigabit network.  So I thought, "USB 2.0 or Firewire to Ethernet
> adapter."
>
> I have been unable to find a USB 2.0 to Almost-Gigabit solution that is
> supported by any flavor of Linux.  Nor a Firewire to Gigabit solution at
> all.  Are there any options to be had?

You could try replacing whatever is using the PCI slot with a USB or F/W
solution, then put a GB NIC in the PCI slot.

Or, not very practical, but you could use a separate machine to take
packets in on F/W and spit them out on GB ethernet. As I said, not
really practical, but possible, and if you have a spare machine...

That's the problem with those small boxes, you give up a LOT in
expansion capability.

BEWW