[mythtv-users] Frontend Upgrade

David Frascone dave at frascone.com
Mon Jun 18 18:19:12 UTC 2007

On 6/18/07, Paul Bender <pebender at san.rr.com> wrote:

> David Frascone wrote:
> > Also -- when you're running diskless, memory is a premium.
> >
> > So -- I don't run KDE or Gnome (I run busybox), which means I don't get
> > nice toys like having an enabled vnc session.
>
> I use x11vnc <http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc/> on a diskless frontend
> that uses busybox and ratpoison (when I enable a window manager), and it
> works quite well.

Looks like I have some homework!  Does this slow down the video rendering?
When you connect, can you see the TV image?

> I have a very cheap wireless keyboard, and I"m very happy with it --
> > it's especially useful with lirc dies.
>
> This is the second mention of LIRC dieing that I have heard on this list
> in the past week. For me, LIRC has been rock solid. Have you tried to
> track down why it is dieing?

Welp, I had one issue where lirc died for a minute or two at a time -- we've
worked that one out.  Now, however, lirc dies forever, after a while.  I
remapped my power button to reset mythfrontend (which is run from a loop
that completely shutsdown and restarts lirc), and so we're in a reasonably
happy state.

I just now (5 mins ago) recompiled lirc with debug, and I'm now capturing
debug for the lirc guys, once it hangs again.

So -- yes -- I'm working with the lirc guys on it -- but I've been pretty
slow to provide them debug.  (Bad Dave -- no bisket)

-Dave

--
David Frascone

I thought I was mistaken but I was mistaken.