[mythtv-users] Frontend Upgrade

David Segall david at segall.net
Mon Jun 18 18:05:01 UTC 2007

Paul Bender wrote:
> David Segall wrote:
>> David Frascone wrote:
>>> Yes, this is a bump ;)
>>>
>>> No one else has any mobo/cpu combo recommendations?  No case
>>> recommendations?  I expected at least an Intel-vs-AMD or
>>> Antec-vs-Silverstone flame war!
>> With a few caveats I would recommend my Antec Fusion case
>> <http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=15738> but not to
>> you. It features a couple of large case fans that would be useful for a
>> passively cooled CPU but they are not temperature controlled and I'm
>> sure you could do better with the right CPU fan.
>>
>> Your second requirement is (possibly) for a built in IR control but the
>> Antec Fusion has only a volume control knob. Actually, I think a
>> suitable keyboard makes a better remote than anything else and is
>> usually required anyway. I'm happy with my Adesso
>> <http://www.adesso.com/products_detail.asp?productid=281> but I covet a
>> diNovo Edge
>> <http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/keyboards/keyboard/devices/192&cl=us,en>
>> for its looks.
>>
>> Since the Fusion is the only Antec case aimed at the HTPC market you are
>> unlikely to start a flame war. Anyway, I'm sure that all Antec Fusion
>> owners are still recovering from the brutal "I'm also only
>> planning to put a motherboard and an optical drive in the case, so don't
>> see the need to having something that rivals the size of most older home
>> audio receivers" that was recently posted here. :)
>
> If one has no need for the display and knob, then the Antec NSK2400 is a
> less expensive alternative. It is essentially the same case without the
> display and knob.
Not quite. The Fusion has a real aluminum front panel instead of a
silver plastic one, you don't need to find a "silver" optical drive and
it has a beefed up power supply
<http://www.silentpcreview.com/article591-page9.html>.

In any case (pun intended) I don't think that either the Fusion or the
NSK2400 would warrant leading the charge in a flame war. On the other
hand, if you are comparing just those two cases, the Fusion offers a
relatively inexpensive and worthwhile upgrade.