[mythtv-users] can't play .18.1 recordings on .20 system

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Jun 18 16:20:31 UTC 2007

On 06/18/2007 07:12 AM, Craig Yuen wrote:
> i'm building a new frontend/backend system using ubuntu 7.04/mythtv
> 0.20.  i've extracted the mythtv data from the database on the old
> system and restored it to the new one and have copied all the old
> recordings.  when i run the frontend, i see the old recordings listed
> but they can't be played.  i can play new recordings.  the frontend
> gives the following messages:

> 2007-06-18 02:51:28.257 RingBuf(/): Invalid file (fd -1) when opening '/'.

Seems somebody imported a 0.18.1 database into an /already existing/
0.20 database (i.e. created a new 0.20 database and then imported
data).  Therefore, Myth did /not/ upgrade the database data to its new
format...

So, right now you have a mess of old and new format data.  The best bet
is to start with your 0.18.1 DB (backup and then drop the current DB and
import the 0.18.1 DB), let Myth upgrade it (by running mythtv-setup),
then bring in the new recordings, if they're worth the trouble (I'd
recommend using myth.rebuilddatabase.pl).  If you only have a few
off-season recordings since the upgrade, I'd just re-record them.

Mike