[mythtv-users] Garbled Sound on Digital TV

Keller Giacomarro keller.g at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 23:16:50 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-06-17 at 18:07 -0500, Keller Giacomarro wrote:

> On Sun, 2007-06-17 at 17:57 -0500, Keller Giacomarro wrote:
>
> > I'm having an interesting issue with sound while watching digital
> > programs with my Avermedia A180.
> >
> > On some channels, sometimes, I get garbled and distorted sound out
> > of the right channel.  This has happened on everything from Disney
> > (the digital version) to Discovery HD.  Right now, Disney distorts
> > and Discovery is fine.  Last night, it was the opposite.
> >
> > Since the signal is digital and the problem is sporadic, is it
> > possible that it's a configuration issue on my end?  It seems like
> > this is the cable company screwing up something, but I wanted to
> > make sure I wasn't missing something obvious.
> >
> > If it matters, I'm running the following
> > Latest SVN
> > AverMedia A180
> > PVR-150
> >
> > All is packaged into an older Dell PowerApp server.  Could this be
> > an interference problem?  Since the sound is digital, that doesn't
> > make sense, does it?
> >
> > Thanks for taking the time to reply.
> >
> > Keller
> > keller.g at gmail.com
>

> Scratch that, I think I found the fix.
>
> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/3608
>
> I'll post when I know if this fixes the problem or not.
>
> -Keller

I can confirm that the bug I saw seems to be identical to the one in the
above ticket.

If you're reading the list and have this issue where digital sound is
garbled or sounds like it's being played through a fan, you can do the
following.

- update to the latest svn
- install liba52-dev
- add '--enable-liba52bin --disable-decoder=ac3 --enable-decoder=liba52'
to your config line
- recompile

Works great now.  Thanks to markspieth for the tip in that trac ticket.

-Keller