[mythtv-users] Smallest case available

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sun Jun 17 19:11:52 UTC 2007

Mathew wrote:
> I'm starting to apply more thought to putting together a small MythTV
> box.  However, I want the smallest machine possible.  I see all of these
> micro-ATX cases that are around 3"x16"x10" or similar but I'd like to
> have something smaller if possible.  My inspiration is the Acerpower
> 1000 computer.  I'm not necessarily looking for that size specifically
> but I figure if Acer has done it, there must be other companies that
> have as well.
>
> Can anyone provide any suggestions?

Well Via has recently announced a 'pico-ITX' form factor which is 100 mm
by 72mm in size!
Fully featured and complete x86 compatible motherboard running a Via C7
cpu at 1 Gig. With the IO daughterboard it is 128 by 100 mm and 40 mm
high in total.

Check the review at http://www.mini-itx.com

Clearly not for every mythbox setup situation, but usable in certain
circumstances. It would make a good backend for an all HDHomeRun or all
USB tuner setup. Video playback is still problematic under openchrome
for the Via C700 video chips...

The amazing thing is, this unit idles at 14 watts and runs 16 watts
running the Prime95 stress test! (I think that is without harddrive...
the report is not clear). Now THAT is something which will not cost much
to leave running!

Geoff

--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury