[mythtv-users] Requesting help setting up HDHomeRun

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sun Jun 17 02:34:55 UTC 2007

William Munson wrote:
> Bob Diss wrote:
>> Bob wrote:
>>
>>> I see that a new -158 package set has recently been
>>> released on ATrpms for fc5.
>>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> Tried scanning with the latest ATrpms package -- but
>> no luck.  The scanner does not find anything, does not
>> populate any entries into the dtv_multiplex or channel
>> tables.
>>
>> Still stuck -- does anyone have additional suggestions
>> on how to configure MythTV for HDHomeRun use?
>>

> Is your source cable or an antenna? For cable your scan type needs to be
> QAM256 and for an antenna I think it needs to be VSB8. Please be aware
> that the cable scan will result in many unknown channels as most cable
> companies do not add a callsign to their channels. Please look back thru
> the list archives as I detailed the steps needed to make cable channels
> work a couple of weeks ago. OTA scans will pretty much work as designed.

You made a comment in a prior post about what port needed to be open.
One thing which the hdhr installation instructions do not emphasize is
that you must set the target LAST. Otherwise almost every other command
will re-set the hdhr unit and it will NOT stream properly.

So to set tuner0 to a channel using a particular channel map and to send
a stream to your computer on the local network use:

#set a channel and stream all streams
hdhomerun_config 1010ea43 set /tuner1/channelmap us-cable
hdhomerun_config 1010ea43 set /tuner1/channel qam256:108
hdhomerun_config 1010ea43 set /tuner1/filter 0x00
hdhomerun_config 1010ea43 set /tuner1/target 192.168.1.81:1235

You can then use vlc to watch one of the streams using 'vlc -vv udp://'
and selecting from the pulldown in vlc.

              R. Geoffrey Newbury

        Helping with the HTTP issue