[mythtv-users] MythArchive -- why I've given up

Alex Halovanic halovanic at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 18:11:04 UTC 2007

> My suggestion would be for a way to record a show in a format such that it
> would be
> ready to dump to a DVD in a fashion that takes much less time.  The show
> would be
> stored on the hard drive so that no further transcoding would be necessary,
> and the
> show could be dumped to a DVD in minutes.  Something like this appears to
> already
> be there (I've seen settings for transcoding after recording in the setups),
> but every time
> I've tried MythArchive some further transcoding always seems to be required.

With the Hauppauge150/25/350/500 cards, (and presumably anything else
that uses hardware to capture to MPEG-2) you can capture analog
television to 720x480 MPEG2 format which doesn't require any
transcoding.  I'm not exaggerating when I say I can have a two hour
long movie burned to DVD in less than 30 minutes when mytharchive
doesn't have to transcode it.  I do agree with you that sync issues in
transcoding are annoying...I haven't been able to get any HD shows
transcoded to a DVD compliant size without my audio getting out of
sync.  And unfortunately any real kind of transcoding (not something
like the compression done by tools like DVDShrink or Tcrequant to
reduce the size of an already compliant file) will always take a lot
of time so it's best to avoid it when you can.

Alex