[mythtv-users] Frontend Upgrade

David Frascone dave at frascone.com
Sat Jun 16 17:41:03 UTC 2007

Ok -- it's about time for me to upgrade my diskless frontend, so I need some
help on some items:

1) I run diskless, and prefer as little noise as possible.  I know that AMD
makes a low power CPU that can be passivly cooled, but I've had trouble
finding one from any of the normal search engines.  (It's hard to put
15watts in the search).  So -- does anyone have a link for a CPU / MB combo
that can be passivly cooled?  Built in video would also be nice -- as long
as the whole combo can keep up with HD video playback.  So -- does anyone
have any newegg or other online vendor links?

2) Lirc is a constant cause of issues for me.  It just often fails, and my
wife is not technologically savy enough to ssh in and kill mythfrontend.  So
-- she usually resorts to pushing reset.  While this is fine on a diskless
box -- it is unnecessary downtime.  So -- what I would like is some input on
cases that have enough controls to navigate back and kill mythfrontend.  I
guess a single "things are messed up" button would be ok -- but ideally it
would be a set of arrows and a select.  (And, maybe even an escape).  Does
this exist?  (of course, the buttons need to be some kind of HID or
something -- an IR transmitter wouldn't do so well, if lircd was hosed.

3) Am I missing anything?  Would the case mentioned in #2 need a power
supply?  If so -- should I just buy a cheap one (remember, I'm only powering
a MB and possibly a DVD player/burner)  Or, should I look for a "quiet" one?

Thanks in advance,

-Dave

--
David Frascone