[mythtv-users] How do I start mythfrontend with log/verbose options?

William Munson william_munson at bellsouth.net
Sat Jun 16 11:03:52 UTC 2007

Wim Fokkens wrote:

> I have trouble to get smooth scrolling video with my new mytdora 4.0
> installation.
> After reading several treaths at the mythtv mailing list I read that
> one thing to check is the frame rate mythfrontend is running.
> I should be able to create a log file while running mythfrontend.
> How do i do this?
>
> Wim
>
> PC Hardware:
> Mb:Asus A7N8X-XE(nforce 2), Proc:AMD 2200+, Ram:1024mb, Gfx GF5200
> 128mb HDD:WD200Gb Display Sun 24"crt

Welcome to the club. I have been fighting the scroll jitters for quite a
while. The easiest way to do this is to stop your frontend so that you
have access to the desktop. Open a terminal window and restart the
frontend with

mythfrontend -v playback

mythfrontend --help will give you other options you may want to try.

For me one of the biggest improvements was made when I manually compiled
myth optimized for my processor type. This kind of negates the purpose
of MythDora but that dropped my cpu load from ~95% to ~70% playing HD
material. I have a AthlonXP 3000+ so you have less processor than I do
but yours should be able to play SD material just fine.

Bill