[mythtv-users] Recording a VHS movie to MythTV?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Jun 16 10:28:39 UTC 2007

Marc Barrett wrote:
> I have a pretty typical setup: two Hauppauge cards (150 and 350) with a cable line going to both cards, so I'm using the tuners.  Everything works great.
>
> I would like to occasionally copy a VHS movie to MythTV, recording it like a TV show.  What I'd like to do is plug a VCR into one of the component inputs of either card, so I don't have to touch the existing setup.  Right now, the only way I can think of to do it is to go back into mythtv-setup and add an input.  But then there is also the problem of telling MythTV exactly when to start and stop "recording", so I don't end up with "dead air" at the beginning and end when I'm setting things up, and also how to title the program in MythTV.
>
> I'm hoping someone has already thought of this and written a little MythTV utility to record video off of a card's alternative input, without having to mess with the setup.

I'm not aware of such a utility, perhaps somebody else is.

The easiest way to do what you want is to use a standalone VHS/DVDR
combo deck, they can be had for well under $100 these days in the USA.
You could even just use a standalone DVD recorded, if you already have a
VHS deck.

http://www.geeks.com/products_sc.asp?cat=213

Note that most commercial DVD recorders will refuse to copy a
"Macrovision" protected VHS tape, unless "measures" are taken.

Use the right tool for the right job, Myth is a PVR, not a dubbing
machine. It could be done with Myth, but it would be a lot of hassle,
and I suspect you would have to "mess with setup".

You might be interested in a thread from last January that I started, it
gives some general info on things to be aware of when making VHS-to-DVD
copies. I haven't yet got around to "part2" or "part3", perhaps your
question will push me to get at that.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/244673?search_string=VHS%20to%20DVD;#244673

BEWW