[mythtv-users] Recording a VHS movie to MythTV?

Marc Barrett mnealbarrett at cox.net
Sat Jun 16 09:16:50 UTC 2007

I have a pretty typical setup: two Hauppauge cards (150 and 350) with a cable line going to both cards, so I'm using the tuners.  Everything works great.

I would like to occasionally copy a VHS movie to MythTV, recording it like a TV show.  What I'd like to do is plug a VCR into one of the component inputs of either card, so I don't have to touch the existing setup.  Right now, the only way I can think of to do it is to go back into mythtv-setup and add an input.  But then there is also the problem of telling MythTV exactly when to start and stop "recording", so I don't end up with "dead air" at the beginning and end when I'm setting things up, and also how to title the program in MythTV.

I'm hoping someone has already thought of this and written a little MythTV utility to record video off of a card's alternative input, without having to mess with the setup.