[mythtv-users] Ahh - Evil xorg and modelines

Damian Surr damian at gingermagic.co.uk
Sat Jun 16 07:27:18 UTC 2007

Tom Lichti wrote:
> Damian Surr wrote:
>> Hi Rage
>>
>> Jusr tried that. I cut and pasted from your email to make sure I got it
>> right. Here's the log file:
>>

> FYI: we all get all the messages, so you've just sent hundreds of lines
> of log files to the list three times. Quick question, what aspect ratio
> mode and application mode do you have the projector set to, and how are
> you connecting to it? I assume VGA-DVI, but I don't have the old
> messages to look at. It may be that one of those settings is causing the
> projector to reject certain modelines.
>
> Other than that, I don't see what the problem could be.
>
> Tom

Hi Tom,

Sorry if it looks like I've just posted the same long log file 3 times.
That's not the case. I was responding to 3 different branches of the
thread. I can imagine it being annoying if it doesn't look like that,
but thought it better than starting entirely different threads.

To answer your questions, I have a BenQ W100 projector connected to my
computer via a DVI-D to DVI-D cable. The projector is 16/9 and the
native resolution is 854x480

My manual indicated that 'supported timing for PC input' includes the
following resolutions .. 640x400 640x480 800x600 1024x768 1280x1024. It
also supports 480i 480p 576i 576p 720i 720p 1080i 1080p

Once I get any other resolution than 800x600 working on this projector,
then I can try a few resolutions to see what looks best. For the moment,
I thought it was best to stick with trying to get 1024x768 (I did try
modelines for all the other resolutions before deciding it was best to
focus on one first).

As for your question of 'what aspect ratio mode and application mode do
you have the projector set to?' then unless the information above
provides the information I do not know as I don't understand the
question. The projector settings themselves have been left pretty much
at default factory settings.

Cheers
Damian