[mythtv-users] (no subject)

Patrick McKinney mythtv at prmckinney.com
Fri Jun 15 13:27:11 UTC 2007

R. G. Newbury wrote:
> David Frascone wrote:
>
>> I use dyndns.
>>
>> -Dave

>>> they
>>> have a dynamic IP.  I created some scripts on >a co-owned server [ and
>>> have
>>> cron (on my local mythbox) hitting them every so often.  This way I get

>>> Dilbeck] > enough of a need, I would open this

>>> I was also wandering how people did this. I have not dig deep enough into
>>> this problem yet. But I was wanting to do this with out any cosy(dyn dns
>>> service) I do have a domain. Is there a way for my Myth box to ftp the
>>> current dyn ip to my web server so it always know how to get to my
>>> myth box?
>>>

> Script writing for this purpose is not necessary.
> LinkSys ( and many other brand) routers have a dynamic dns report
> capability and they are cheap. The WRT54G for example can be found for
> as little as $50. On top of that, I think my DyDNS costs only $15 a
> year. It's even cheaper if you use their domain rather than your own
> (That is, getting  'yourname.dydns.com' is a little cheaper than having
> them "host" yourname.com. I own the domain name being pointed to).

If you have your own domain name and a router that doesn't have dynamic
dns reporting another option is to run ddclient.  It will ping your
router every x minutes to see if your WAN address has changed.  If it
detects a change it will update the DNS service of your choice.  I've
been using it with zoneedit for the last 2 years with no problems.  If
you already have a domain this option will cost you nothing :)

Patrick