[mythtv-users] xorg problem with resolution

Khanh Tran khanh at khanh.net
Fri Jun 15 12:49:59 UTC 2007

On 6/14/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> Sounds like your distro gives you a (broken, IMHO,) X start script that
> specifies a DPI value to use (i.e. using -dpi).  Either get rid of it
> (preferred so that your X config file can actually be used to, er,
> configure X) or change it to 100.
>
> Or, it's possible that your drivers do like the NVIDIA driver and ignore
> any user configuration if the monitor reports EDID data.  (And, since
> the EDID data is often garbage...)  If that's the case, you'll have to
> chase down how to disable the "smarter than users" software.

I'm finding out now that it is an issue with SiS, most likely trying
to use EDID.  I switched to VESA and I could specify DisplaySize.  I
read through and tried everything in:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Specifying_DPI_for_NVIDIA_Cards

but only:

Option    "DPI"  "100 x 100"

would actually have an effect when using the SIS display driver in
xorg 7.2.  It doesn't like any of those EDID options.  I guess I'm
stuck with skewed content until someone over at SuSE patches it or I
get another video card (not likely on the ASUS Pundit)