[mythtv-users] What don't I get here? (Interlaced playback...)

ryan patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 12:18:38 UTC 2007

The nvidia S-video out does send an interlaced signal.  Just not the correct
interlaced signal.  For a TV signal (PAL or NTSC) the two fields that make
up one frame are from two slightly different points in time.  But for a
computer monitor signal an interlaced signal is made from one frame (one
point in time) and then split into two fields.  The nvidia card is incapable
of correctly displaying the interlacing correctly.

If you really want a good S-video output get a hauppauge pvr-350.  It has a
hardware mpeg decoder that preserves the correct interlacing signal.  Though
setting up the pvr-350's X drivers can be a pain.  I used a pvr-350 until I
upgraded to HDTV (connecting with DVI is very easy now).  For me the nvidia
s-video output was simply unacceptable.