[mythtv-users] (no subject)

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Jun 15 02:32:37 UTC 2007

David Frascone wrote:
> I use dyndns.
>
> -Dave
>
> On 6/13/07, edilbeck at cox.net <edilbeck at cox.net> wrote:
>>

>> > Just wondering how everyone redirects to MythWeb running at home if
>> they
>> have a dynamic IP.  I created some scripts on >a co-owned server [ and
>> have
>> cron (on my local mythbox) hitting them every so often.  This way I get
>> >redirected to whatever my current dynamic IP is.  If there is [Eric
>> Dilbeck] > enough of a need, I would open this
>> >option up to other MythWeb users.
>>
>> I was also wandering how people did this. I have not dig deep enough into
>> this problem yet. But I was wanting to do this with out any cosy(dyn dns
>> service) I do have a domain. Is there a way for my Myth box to ftp the
>> current dyn ip to my web server so it always know how to get to my
>> myth box?

Script writing for this purpose is not necessary.
LinkSys ( and many other brand) routers have a dynamic dns report
capability and they are cheap. The WRT54G for example can be found for
as little as $50. On top of that, I think my DyDNS costs only $15 a
year. It's even cheaper if you use their domain rather than your own
(That is, getting  'yourname.dydns.com' is a little cheaper than having
them "host" yourname.com. I own the domain name being pointed to).

The LinkSys us VERY VERY easy to set up, and absolutely reliable. I've
only played with it so far but it works. I flashed it with the free
DD-WRT firmware which enhanced the capabilities (and made the interface
more user friendly).

Buy yourself a father's day present and get a router if you don't
already have one. Or buy a better router if yours does not do dydns.

It's not really worth the hassle of doing it any other way.

              R. Geoffrey Newbury

        Helping with the HTTP issue