[mythtv-users] Thank You to the Devs

Schlaegel vthtym0505 at schlaegel.com
Thu Jun 14 23:06:08 UTC 2007

On 6/12/07, Mark Chang <mark.chang at gmail.com> wrote:
> And don't forget how you are messing up my newborn. Thanks to your evil
> commercial skipping, he won't have any concept of commercials growing up!
> How is he supposed to assimilate into mainstream pop culture in America
> without COMMERCIALS? He also won't have any idea of channels, or the fact
> that shows come on at certain times and don't naturally pause when he needs
> to eat dinner. Oh, woe for a whole generation of Myth users!

This is so true for me. I have a four year old son who doesn't have a
real concept of commercials. He thinks all TV can be paused and
rewound, and thinks that shows can be watched whenever one wants. When
at friends' houses, when there are commercials, he wonders why the
show stopped; if something funny happens, he asks to see it again, if
he has to use the bathroom, he asks someone to pause the TV; if
someone turns on the TV, he asks if he can watch his favorite Saturday
Morning cartoon regardless of what day of the week it is.

This is all true. In fact, my primary motivator in setting up MythTV,
was realizing that my, then one year old, son was scared of "scary"
commercials during prime time, and that he didn't have to be
brainwashed by TV commercials like my generation was.

-Schlaegel