[mythtv-users] xorg problem with resolution

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Jun 14 16:25:33 UTC 2007

On 06/14/2007 07:32 AM, Khanh Tran wrote:
> From my xorg.conf, I'm using an SiS card  (Asus Pundit), so the NVIDIA
> part is not relevant.  I know I have it commented out, but my
> xorg.conf does have:
>
> DisplaySize  325 182
>
> I also added "Xft.dpi:100" to /etc/X11/Xresources, which took care of
> the fonts, but the picture is still stretched and my xdpyinfo still
> reports:
>
> dimensions:    1280x768 pixels (40x30 millimeters)
> resolution:    813x650 dots per inch

Sounds like your distro gives you a (broken, IMHO,) X start script that
specifies a DPI value to use (i.e. using -dpi).  Either get rid of it
(preferred so that your X config file can actually be used to, er,
configure X) or change it to 100.

Or, it's possible that your drivers do like the NVIDIA driver and ignore
any user configuration if the monitor reports EDID data.  (And, since
the EDID data is often garbage...)  If that's the case, you'll have to
chase down how to disable the "smarter than users" software.

Mike