[mythtv-users] speed of burn

norman norman at littletank.org
Thu Jun 14 14:49:00 UTC 2007

< snip >

> It sounds like you're asking about burning software that runs under Linux.

That is correct.

> K3b and X-CD-Roast are standard programs for that purpose. You canalso
> just use growisofs from the command line.
>
> All these methods have ways to control burning speed, see the docs of each.

I was thinking of using K3b should it be necessary.

> I don't use MythArchive, which seems to be what most folks use these
> days from within Myth, but ultimately, someplace, it has to call
> something that performs the burn, and whatever it is calling can I'm
> sure be modified to specify the burning speed.
>
> (I just use MythBurn from the MythWeb interface, I've never had a
> problem with that in over 100 disks made, ven when it has to re-quant to
> fit onto a 4.7 GB single-layer disk).
>
> But, if you specifically state a burning speed, and don't allow
> automatic settings, you have to be careful that you don't specify a
> speed that the drive or the media can't handle.

I can understand that and presume that if left to default this would be
taken care of.

> The real questions are, what are you using to burn, and why do you think
> you have a speed problem ?.

I am using MythArchive and, from what I have seen, there is no obvious
provision for setting a burn speed. It is my understanding that the
speed of burn may affect playback quality. So, my interest was to
examine this proposition to see if it has any validity.

Norman