[mythtv-users] Source of my IOBOUND problem?

Craig Huff huffcs at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 14 03:01:20 UTC 2007

Thought I should give an update now that I've had a chance to address my problem.

I finally found the time to install the latest ivtv RPM package (and ended up
upgrading everything else outdated while at it!).

A test run this evening similar to the one I reported in this thread earlier went
off with flying colors.  Three concurrent OTA programs captured with only a single
dma error message in /var/log/messages!

Captured programs play without problems.
iostat wsec/s dropped from 17K to 4K, in round figures.
top reported load averages dropped from nearly 5 to under 0.5, and now I have > 90% idle time.

The cure was much cheaper than adding disks to create a RAID stripe  or adding
a PCI/PCI-e disk drive controller.

I can heartily recommend upgrading from version x to version 0.10.3-129.

Craig.