[mythtv-users] Cards keep changing /dev/videoX devices...

Braindead Braindead at diablops.com
Wed Jun 13 19:30:57 UTC 2007

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 11:54:09 -0700
"Steve MacLaren" <scram69 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes I did find it useful - thanks for posting your solution in such
> detail!
>
> I imagine that there are more people out there who could use help
> with this issue; however, it is still not clear to me what the cause
> of the problem is.  In other words, why can some users simply load
> the drivers for their devices in /etc/modules and have them show up
> in the same order every time, and others get a random behavior.

I spent a couple of hours trying to figure out why when I moved my firewall router box (2 nics) it would work.. then not work..etc.. Same problem.  It seems like it would be nice if udev at least had an option to save the current 'configuration' and 'restore' it when firing up.  At least then you'd only have to deal with the problem once.

It did however encourage me to also give my NIC's nice names rather than the default eth0 and eth1...