[mythtv-users] Controlling a DirecTV D12-300 receiver

David George david at thegeorges.us
Wed Jun 13 18:56:07 UTC 2007

On 05/24/2007 09:47 PM, JCA wrote:
>    I have been trying to control a DirecTV D12-300 receiver from
> MythTV by means of MyBlaster, so far without success. I have seen
> postings from people who struggled with D10-300 receivers, but a
> varying degree of success.
>
>    The question, point blank, is: Has anybody succeeded to control the
> D12-300 from MythTV, using MyBlaster or otherwise? This box has a USB
> port which might be used for such a purpose, but, like in other D*-300
> models, it might be disabled.
>
>   If the D12-300 is a no-no, what other DirecTV receiver should I get
> such that it can be controlled from MythTV?

Sorry, I said I would reply to this a long time ago and forgot about
it.  I have my D12-300 hooked up and channel changing using the usb port
works great.

I happened to have a USB to serial adapter I bought on eBay a couple of
years ago for a few bucks and plugged that into the D12-300, then used a
null modem cable to connect to the serial port on the mythtv backend.
(If you don't have an extra serial port you can use another USB to
serial on that end also.)

I used the directv3.pl script to change channels with:
/usr/local/bin/directv3.pl box_type d10-100

If you have the serial port on something other than /dev/ttyS0 use:
/usr/local/bin/directv3.pl box_type d10-100 port /dev/ttyUSB0
for example.

I don't have the link handy for directv3.pl, but you should be able to
find it in the list archives easily enough.
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/

--
David