[mythtv-users] MythWeb Redirection

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Jun 13 18:51:09 UTC 2007

On Jun 13, 2007, at 11:44 AM, Gabe Rubin wrote:

> On 6/13/07, John Baab <john.baab at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Just wondering how everyone redirects to MythWeb running at home
>> if they
>> have a dynamic IP.  I created some scripts on a co-owned server
>> and have
>> cron (on my local mythbox) hitting them every so often.  This way
>> I get
>> redirected to whatever my current dynamic IP is.  If there is
>> enough of a
>> need, I would open this option up to other MythWeb users.
>>

> I use dyndns to set up an address (*.mine.nu, although they have
> different TLDs that you can use) that is associated with my home ip.
> I have ddclient on my mythbox (although you can use other programs,
> and there are ones available for windows on any computer within your
> network) to update the dyndns servers with my dynamic IP address.  I
> believe it is run as a service that checks what my IP addy is, sees if
> it has changed, and if so, updates the dyndns server.  Works like a
> charm!

Some routers even support dyndns out of the box. Just turn it on and
it will automagically update your DNS entry with whatever your router
says it should be. I think D-Link does this, but it's been a while
since I've needed it. I decided it was easier to go with a business
DSL line and static IP addresses.