[mythtv-users] Question about recording history

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jun 13 14:48:20 UTC 2007

On 06/13/2007 10:00 AM, Brian Walter wrote:
> I've been trying to figure out if this is possible, and so far, no luck.
>
> After using several DirecTivos for several years, the wife was asking
> about 'Delete' and 'Delete and allow re-record' and how these relate to
> Tivo's 28 day rule.
>
> We notice that if we do a 'Delete and allow...' if the same episode is
> on on a different channel the next day, it will be picked up.  We are
> wondering if it is possible to basically say 'Don't record if the
> episode was recorded in the past X days'.

We don't (yet) have anything like that.  Adding that behavior shouldn't
be too difficule, though.  Feel like writing some code?

> Also, does the oldrecorded table *ever* get cleared out,

No.  There's no need to do so.  The table will never be large.  I've
recorded 5844 programs in over 3 years of use.  I have 6314 records in
oldrecorded, and oldrecorded is only 1.4MB on disk (with 700KB of index,
making it take a total of 2MB).

>  or is there a
> purge utility?  There was mention in the wiki that mythfront end had a
> utility to make the schedulerer forget it saw the episode

If you decide at some point after you've recorded and deleted a show
that you would like to re-record that show with an existing rule, you
can use the Previously Recorded screen in mythfrontend to "Allow this
episode to re-record".  You can also use that screen to "Remove this
episode from the list" or "Remove all episodes for this title" (i.e. so
no one can prove you recorded "Thelma and Louise").  The difference
between "Allow this episode to re-record" and removing an episode(s)
from the list is that with "Allow this episode to re-record," Myth
maintains the record of your having previously recorded it, but tells
the scheduler to ignore that record for duplicate matching.

>  - is this the
> 'delete and allow re-record' option?  Or is there something else?

Delete and allow re-record can only be used when deleting the show.  The
Previously Recorded screen can be used at any time.

Note, also, that you can /always/ record any episode--whether it's set
to be used for duplicate matching or not--by creating a recording rule
with duplicate matching disabled or set to only check existing
recordings.  You also have the option of creating recording overrides
(i.e. "record anyway" behavior), which you can do through the Upcoming
Recordings screen, to force recording even though the episode was not
going to be recorded because of duplicate matching.

Mike