[mythtv-users] UK digital satellite on MythTV?

Piers Kittel mythtv at biased.org
Wed Jun 13 13:15:27 UTC 2007

Hello all,

Am currently using MythTV with 2 x DVB-T cards, but recent growth of trees in my area has rendered the signal quality of digital terrestrial TV at my house to be very poor when it rains.  I was quoted £200 for a new aerial and stuff, so am thinking about digital satellite before plunging for the aerial upgrade.

First of all, to clarify, I'm not interested in getting paid for satellite channels for free.  I seem to have gotten the impression that I need an decryption card to view Channel 4, Channel 5, and a few other free-to-air channels.  So I guess I need to get 2 x DVB-S cards that will take a CAM module and 2 X CAM modules.  I realise I could use 2 set top boxes but that setup is very much a pain in the bum.  I used to have a digital set top box connected to MythTV and it was a painful experience - getting the DVB-T cards was a big improvement and I don't want to lose that improvement.  I also don't have analogue tuners.

My first question is: What sort of CAM do I need to access the encrypted, free-to-air channels?

Secondly, does MythTV supports DVB-S cards with digital subtitles, and supports CAMs?

Thirdly, where would I get 2 x DVB-S cards and 2 x CAM modules on the cheap, preferably under £200?  Difficult question I know.

I'm also looking at cards on eBay, but how would I know that specific card has Linux support?  Is there some list online I can use to see if I can use that card?  Some cheap cards I can see has a special connector on the top, apparently I can plug a CAM card into that - would that be accurate?

This don't look too shabby:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Technotrend-HDTV-PCI-S2-3200-plus-PayTV-Extension-CIKit_W0QQitemZ290126825323QQihZ019QQcategoryZ3761QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Would this work on MythTV/Linux, and is the price worth it?  I would assume I still need a CAM with this.

This is a cheaper card but without the CAM extension card

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Technotrend-Hauppauge-Satellite-Card-pay-tv-support_W0QQitemZ180040947389QQihZ008QQcategoryZ3761QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Again, I assume I would need a CAM extension card and a CAM with this.  Would a CAM extension card be cheap - can I use just any or do I have to use the manufacturer's one?

Thanks very much for your help in advance!

Regards - Piers