[mythtv-users] Moving house: service options in the UK?

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 06:24:48 UTC 2007

On 12/06/07, Gary Dawes <gary.dawes at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have virgin (nee telewest) cable TV, broadband and phone, and Myth of
> course.

John,

Same services as Gary...

> The broadband comes in via a cable modem, then ninto a wireless router via
> 100MB ethernet. Cable TV box is a Scientific atlanta dvb4200 (at the mo cos
> it died a couple of days ago, and I'm waiting for another box).

We have a couple of newish silver Samsung boxes - they match our
Silverstone and Asus cases nicely. Cable modem is USB/ethernet - I use
ethernet to plug it straight into our router with DHCP. Very easy to
setup.

> I record from the cable box using a pvr-150, composite video to scart, the
> cable box does not output svideo though. I have a simple IR blaster which is
> a IR transmitter diode, hooked up to com1 (think it's the simple one - no
> resistors or other circuitry). Works great 98% of the time.

We have PVR-150 and PVR-350 cards, both recording composite and using
homebrew IR blasters to control them. Our channel changing accuracy
improved when a) our old Pace boxes with known IR reception issues
were replaced, and b) I slowed down the digit transmission rate in the
channel change script.

We also have DVB-T cards on the network for Freeview which works a
treat (most recordings are from Freeview), and that includes access to
Sky Three. Remember there's no Sky One or Sky Two, and the new
Virgin-branded software can display update messages whilst you are
watching TV (not popular). Other than that our broadband service has
been near faultless for the past 6 years, with maybe 2-3 TV blackouts
due to network faults upstream. The new V+ boxes from Virgin are
apparently going to be free if you take the top TV package, not sure
whether these better (i.e. S-Video) video output.

--
Nick

MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/