[mythtv-users] files

Paul Harrison mythtv at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Jun 12 20:38:51 UTC 2007

norman wrote:
>>> When I select 'Find Files to Archive' I have a choice of three headings
>>> to choose from:- Recordings, Video Files and Files. I am clear about the
>>> first two but would like to know what the use of Files is and, if used,
>>> where the files are stored. I have tried Google and various references I
>>> have but have not been able to learn anything. Please give me the
>>> benefit of your experience.
>>>

>> The 'Files' screen shows you a file browser that allows you to look for
>> any video files anywhere on your file system. By default it will only
>> show you files that have a file extension that match one of these '*.mpg
>> *.mov *.avi *.mpeg *.nuv' - that is files that end with '.mpg' or '.mov'
>> etc. You can change what files the browser will show you by changing the
>> 'File Selector Filter' setting on the first page of MythArchive's settings.
>>
>> One use for this would be to create a DVD from some files that you have
>> downloaded from the Internet or copied to your computer from another
>> source like a video camera.
>>
>> How successful the DVD creation process will be depends on what the
>> format of the files is and whether ffmpeg, the tool used to convert them
>> to a DVD compatible format, can do the conversion.
>>

> Thanks for that, Paul. That confirms what I thought was the case.
> Supposing I have a file with the appropriate extension how would it be
> accessed so that I could try to make use of it?
>
> Norman

It's no different to creating a DVD from recordings or MythVideo files.

Use the file browser to chose what files you want on the DVD. Make sure
you click OK so the files you chose will be added to the list of items
you want to archive.  Return to the menu and select 'Create DVD'  them
go through the wizard as normal. If the files aren't already in mpeg2
format you will _have_ to chose one of the encoding profiles you can't
chose to not re-encode them.

Paul H.