[mythtv-users] Ahh - Evil xorg and modelines

David Cramblett david at functionalchaos.net
Tue Jun 12 16:11:29 UTC 2007

Steve Smith wrote:
> David,
>
> No I think you may be getting a bit confused about the ssh bit.

No, Damian was and I was trying to help him understand.

> We
> suggested using ssh (or even telnet) because Damian's email PC is in a
> different room from his myth PC, using SSH means he can copy & paste the
> logs into the emails much easier.

The idea is great for it's intended purpose. However, Damian did not
understand and was launching startx  from the remote shell, hence why he
may be getting funny things on his display.

>It's a good idea to make sure xdm/gdm
> etc is NOT running & confusing the issue though.
>
> We can actually debug this thing purely from the Xorg.0.log file, don't
> even need to see the X display (so long as we've got --logverbose 5
> turned on).

I am aware of this, but I am also considering Damian's experience level.