[mythtv-users] Details on Nvidia 6200 (was:Best nvidia video card for Myth)

MartinG gronslet at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 11:52:37 UTC 2007

On 6/12/07, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
> I'm thrilled with my 6200. It's not fanless because I bought one of the
> first models that came out and it's overclocked, but there are fanless ones
> now. You only need to worry about a black and white overlay if you're
> running with XvMC. If you have enough processing power to not need XvMC, any
> of the nvidia cards will function properly.

Good to hear someone recommend the 6200 :)

I've got one of those myself:
# lspci -v -s01:00.0
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV44A [GeForce
6200] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Unknown device 81c7
        Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 248, IRQ 17
        Memory at 81000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
        Memory at 90000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
        Memory at 82000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
        [virtual] Expansion ROM at 80200000 [disabled] [size=128K]
        Capabilities: [44] AGP version 3.0

but I haven't had any good experience with TV-out on that card. I use
an old CRT TV, and run mythtv using the composite output.

I've search the archives, and google'd around, but haven't been able
to digest the information overfow, and tracing threads changing
subject but not subject line is a bit tedious ;)

Anyhow, my problem is that I get a lot of tearing in the picture (both
when watching liveTV and for example DVD's, so it is not a ivtv
problem (I think)). Essentially, I get a horisontal line about 1/3
down the screen, with the picture a bit "out of sync" on the top 1/3
compared with the bottom 2/3rds.

I also have some problems with "NVP: prebuffering pause" and
"NVP: Prebuffer wait timed out 10 times." etc from the frontend logs.

I've been experimenting with alot of different settings, and currently
I'm using the following (mythfrontend/utilities-setup/setup/tv
settings/playback):

Deinterlace playback: off (have tried both on and off)
Preferred MPEG2 Decoder: Standard (Have tried all)
Enable OpenGL vertical sync for timing: off (have tried on)
Use video as timebase: off (have tried on, but the audio is pretty
much in sync now)
Extra audio buffering: on

I run both the frontend and the backend on the same machine, a
dualcore Intel Pentium III 1266MHz. Each cpu is never above ~30% load.

I followed Jarod Wilson excellent guide, and run this using atrpms on FC6:
# rpm -qa \*nvidia\*
nvidia-graphics-helpers-0.0.18-19.fc6.at
nvidia-graphics9755-kmdl-2.6.20-1.2952.fc6-1.0_9755-87.fc6
nvidia-graphics-devices-1.0-5.fc6.at
nvidia-graphics9755-1.0_9755-87.fc6
nvidia-x11-drv-1.0.9762-1
nvidia-graphics9755-libs-1.0_9755-87.fc6

# rpm -q mythtv-suite
mythtv-suite-0.20.1-157.fc6

My xorg.conf is attached. (I only use the composite output, and have
no regular computer monitor attached).

When I log in, I automatically call "nvidia-settings
--load-config-only" in order to get the output to fit my TV screen.

So to wrap it up:
I use the Nvidia GeForce 6200, using TV-out, composite (PAL-B), but am
not satisfied with the picture quality (even when playing a DVD).
Probably I haven't got the settings right - any hints would be greatly
appreciated.

If this has been discussed and solved for my setup earlier on this
list, I apologies, and would be greatful for a link.

Thanks!

-MartinG