[mythtv-users] video capture+display card query

Alastair Kerr alastair.kerr at ed.ac.uk
Tue Jun 12 11:51:34 UTC 2007

Hi,
after a long time looking into a PVR I am finally going to take the
plunge and build a mythtv box.  I still am not sure sure about a few
issues:

Background:
I have a 37" HD ready LCD-TV with a  VGA and HDMI inputs.
I will be basing my system around a ~3GHz P4 with 1GB of RAM
I will only be recording from a Sky satellite  (UK) box at the beginning
I will probably go with  Ubuntu and it will be a frontend/backend combo.

Questions:
I will need a scart converter  for the sky box- what it is best to
convert to: S-video? composite?

What is the best choice of capture card for the above ( I think I need
one that has built in MPEG encoding)  e.g. WinTV-PVR-250 or WinTV-PVR-150 ?

For the graphics card. It seems like the nvidia 7300 series is favoured
here
* Is there an advantage going with a graphics card when the motherboard
already has  VGA-out that can be plugged into the TV?
* is a card with a dedicated HDMI socket worth it? Can it for example
sent audio to the TV via the HDMI cable? * Any advantage using the HDMI
as opposed to the vga connector on the TV?

thanks
- Alastair