[mythtv-users] Cleaning up old records

Rob Burton phantom1000 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 01:54:48 UTC 2007

On 6/11/07, Craig Fry <craigfry at gmail.com> wrote:

> I run mythfilldatabase a few times a week.
>
> I have records from old recordings all the way back to 2004-04-17.  I want
> to remove all the old data.  I can handle seeing the same episode yearly.  I
> can't even remember what I watched yesterday, let alone 2004.
>
> My sql dump is 139 megs.
> On 6/11/07, Michael T. Dean < mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 06/11/2007 02:40 PM, Craig Fry wrote:
> > > I'd like to clean up my mythconverg database.  I've been running this
> > > thing for years upon years and it's getting huge.  I'd like to clean
> > > out all the records more then a year old.  Does anyone have a script
> > > or solution?  Thanks
> >
> > A huge database is not due to having done too many recordings or having
> > downloaded too many listings.  It's due to not running the mythtv tools
> > that perform automatic database cleanup.
> >
> > In other words, I'm guessing you're using EIT for your guide data and
> > that you never run mythfilldatabase.  Running mythfilldatabase
> > "periodically" is mandatory for 0.20-fixes and below (in SVN the cleanup
> >
> > functionality has been moved to the backend).
> >
> > So, my recommendation is to run:
> >
> > mythfilldatabase --no-delete
> >
> > and it will do all the appropriate cleanup for you.  If your database is
> > still "huge", you need to adjust your definition of the word huge.
> >
> > My entire mysql data directory is 190MB, and the mythconverg directory
> > under it is 170MB, and I have 384 programs using 1.4TB of storage.  I've
> > been running MythTV for over 3 years and have recorded 5842 programs.
> > Of the space in use, 120MB is consumed by recordedseek (since 382 of 384
> > recordings are MPEG-2) and 28MB is consumed by romdb.
> >
> > You'll likely see similar sizes (scaled for the number of MPEG-2
> > recordings you have) once you run mythfilldatabase.  See
> > http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/269833#269833 (and
> > the rest of the thread) for more info.
> >
> > Mike
>
> Craig,
I've had myth running since October 2005, my oldrecorded (which appears to
hold the programs have been recorded) table has about 5K entries and is
using about 1.7 MiB. The total mythconverg DB is using 92.6 MiB.

Your utilization may be (probably is?) different from mine. But based on the
numbers I'm seeing, reducing the number of records in your oldrecorded
table probably isn't going to reduce the overall size of the DB by much.

If the DB size is _really_ a concern, you may want to install phpmyadmin so
you can identify which tables are using all of the space.

Rob