[mythtv-users] HD Homerun Tuning Problems

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Jun 12 01:21:11 UTC 2007

Kirk Bocek wrote:

> R. G. Newbury wrote:
>> Scanning, as such, is NOT broken in mythtv. What generally is broken is
>> what cableco's send us: a stripped stream with no identifying data, on
>> an arbitrary frequency, with an arbitrary serviceid, and listed on a
>> different and arbitrary channel number on zap2it.com. Myth properly
>> reports what it can tell: the frequency and serviceid of an unencrypted
>> stream. It's up to us to match up the rest of the information....
>
> I'm not picking you Geoff, but why, then, does the GUI app for the HDHR as
> well as the *two* flat screens I have with built-in tuners scan and find these
> 'missing' channels just fine. In fact it's with those three tools that I've
> built up my manual list that cross-references digital channel, service number,
> program channel, call sign and XMLTVID.
>
> Why is Myth having a problem with *some* of the channels? And it can see
> *some* service numbers on one multiplex but not others.

Mea culpa! Yours is the first account to make it clear that channels are
being missed. Most of the accounts concentrate on the fact that found
channels are not properly described.

I have no answer for your problem. It may just be that the tuners are
more sensitive than an Hdhomerun, although I doubt that.

You need to describe exactly what goes wrong, get some logs and post a
bug report on trac, because that is the only way this will get solved.
Personally, I have not had this problem. I am lucky enough to have
available a listing of the QAM256 clear channels on my cable feed, and I
get every channel...but not on the same frequencies or virtual channel
numbers as other parts of the city! So I have the second problem, but
not the first.

Geoff

--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury