[mythtv-users] Failure at setting up diskless mythtv-frontend.

clemens at dwf.com clemens at dwf.com
Tue Jun 12 00:17:13 UTC 2007

I have spent what little spare time I have this last week trying
to setup a diskless frontend for MythTV.

It seemed like a good idea,- the less stuff I have in that box the
better, less heat generation means its going to be quieter, and I
have done Diskless machines with SunOS (tho that was probably
10 years ago or more), it just cant be that hard...

Well, I followed the instructions out on the WEB for a diskless
Linux machine (actually under MythTV) and was very unhappy.
It seemed clear with their read-only root and writable changes
mounted to it, I was going to spend the rest of my life findint where
various programs wrote scratch files that the author hadnt run
down.

So I said, how hard can this be?
After all Im only going to have ONE diskless machine, not many
so the read-only root with  changes doesnt make any sense.  Just
put a read-write root out there and run with it.  Well I got to 'step1'
and honest boot, with two tries.  But from there on, I have yet to see
the rc scripts run...  everything (say udev) depends on the existance
or non-existance of /proc and /sys, and even when /proc is umounted
its still there and the scripts fail...  No Idea how this works in a
real boot.

So, if anyone has tried, and succeeded with this, a diskless mythtv-frontend
Id like to hear from you, and get some feeling for what you did.

Other than that, after I come back from USENIX, I guess Ill just
invest in a small, cheap, LOWPOWER (how do you find out about
that) disk, and give up on the diskless part.

--
                                        Reg.Clemens
                                        reg at dwf.com