[mythtv-users] HD Homerun Tuning Problems

Rick rbonafied at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 23:40:41 UTC 2007

Kirk Bocek wrote:

> Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
>> Did you set the sistandard in the dtv_multiplex table to
>> "mpeg"? If so there is something else going on.
>
> I saw notes here about creating duplicate dtv_multiplex rows (but with
> different IDs) to allow for different sistandard entries. I tried this for one
> of the problem service IDs and it still did not tune with sistandard set to
> 'mpeg'. For these service IDs, there *are* other service IDs in the same
> transport that work while sistandard is set to 'atsc'.
>
> Do you want me to try 'mpeg' for *all* service IDs in the transport even
> though some work with 'atsc'?
>
> Kirk Bocek

Hi,

I too had a similar problem which caused me to open this ticket: 3546.
This referred to the situation where my hdhomerun scan returned
something like:
      SCANNING: 711000000 (us-cable:110, us-irc:110)
      LOCK: qam256 (ss=97 snq=100 seq=100)
      PROGRAM: 1: 57.1 WPSG-DT
      PROGRAM: 2: 0.0

Since Program 1 returned identifying info, it would choke on program 2
which didn't return identifying info.  To be honest, I didn't fully
understand any of the explanations but I somehow fumbled my way to a
working solution.  The explanation in the ticket was enough to get me
going.  Basically what I did was look at another channel that was
consistent in it's scan across the programs and emulated that for all
the fields in the dtv_multiplex table with a new mplexid.

Here is what the original scan of frequency 711000000 had in
dtv_multiplex originally:
     mplexid: 67
     sourceid: 2
     transportid: NULL
     networkid: NULL
     frequency: 711000000
     inversion: NULL
     symbolrate: NULL
     fec: NULL
     polarity: NULL
     modulation: qam_256
     lp_code_rate: NULL
     transmission_mode: NULL
     guard_interval: NULL
     visible: 0
     constellation: NULL
     hierarchy: NULL
     hp_code_rate: NULL
     sisstandard: atsc
     serviceversion: 33

I then added a record to dtv_multiplex copying most of the stuff, the
new record had an mplexid of 77 (the next sequentially available one).
The only difference was the mplexid and the sisstandard had 'mpeg'
     ***mplexid: 77
     sourceid: 2
     transportid: NULL
     networkid: NULL
     frequency: 711000000
     inversion: NULL
     symbolrate: NULL
     fec: NULL
     polarity: NULL
     modulation: qam_256
     lp_code_rate: NULL
     transmission_mode: NULL
     guard_interval: NULL
     visible: 0
     constellation: NULL
     hierarchy: NULL
     hp_code_rate: NULL
     ***sisstandard: mpeg
     serviceversion: 33

Finally, I had to update the channel table to use the new mplexid for
the one I just created.  This is important.  I also  plugged in the
program id (in this case 2) for the channel I was missing.  I got that
from the HDhomerun scan from above --> 'PROGRAM: 2:'  My final channel
record looked like this:

Channel table:
     channum: 208 (this is what comcast lists as the channel, but it can
be anything)
     freqid: 110
     sourceid: 2
     callsign: UHD (again, from comcast which I typed in manually)
     name: UHD
     finetune: 0
     videofilters:
     xmltvid: 34763 (this you need to get from zap2it... this is the
primary key into the lineup.  If you have this then zap2it will match.)
     recpriority: 0
     contrast: 32768
     brightness: 32768
     colour: 32768
     hue: 32768
     tvformat:
     commfree: NULL
     visible: 1
     outputfilters:
     useonairguide: 0
     mplexid: 77  (this is the new record mplexid I created manually)
     serviceid: 2  (this is the program number as returned by hdhomerun
scan)
     atscsrcid: NULL
     tmoffset: 0
     atsc_major_chan: 0