[mythtv-users] Machine lock up and disk thrashing

Philip Stubbs stuphi at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 21:32:26 UTC 2007

On 11/06/07, Fredrik Hallgarde <mythtv at tedde.nu> wrote:
> Based on recent experience with an intended dedicated backend where I
> only start Mythfrontend (Mythdora 4 / mythtv  0.20-fixes) for
> verification, memory is the main issue which causes severe swapping (~
> disk thrashing) on 256MB memory.
>
> In other words, as you perform the suggestions by Fred I would like to
> add that you keep an eye on the memory usage and specifically the
> swapping...
>
> Fredrik

Well I had 512Mb RAM and about 500Mb swap. If I left the machine
running for a wile, the process mythcommflag  would take up some swap.
Starting mythfrontend would push it over the limit. I have now dumped
an old windows install and used that partition as an extra swap
partition.

So far it is looking good. Swap usage went up to over 600Mb, so that
would explain why it was struggling before.

Thanks for everybody's good suggestions.

--
Philip Stubbs